The Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments



The Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Department of Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH) Program provide long-term case management, supportive services and permanent housing support for homeless veterans.



The Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) Program provides rental assistance for hard-to-serve chronic homeless individuals with disabilities and chronic homeless (two-person) families with disability issues with a Housing First approach. The PSH program provides case management to connect permanent supportive housing participants with services that address mental health, substance abuse, health, financial health and employment support from Medicaid and other sources outside the program for a wraparound approach to achieve and maintain stability.



The following outlines the process an HCV participant must follow to obtain a lease.
The HCV participant must locate a landlord willing to participate with the program. The landlord must screen the family, conduct reference, and background checks, and determine whether the family is suitable to rent their unit.
Once a participant finds a unit, and the landlord agrees to rent the unit to the participant, the landlord and participant must complete a Request for Tenancy Approval and other necessary documents. These forms must then be returned to LHC to start the leasing process.
LHC has five business days to determine if the participant is income eligible for the unit. Eligibility is determined based on the participant’s current household composition, current household income, eligible deductions and expenses, along with the gross rent of the unit.


  • How does a family participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program?
    As vouchers become available, RRHC calls registered names from a waiting list and screens them for program eligibility. Families who meet the income guidelines and pass a criminal background check are issued vouchers. These vouchers allow them to have a portion of their rent paid by RRHC and HUD (Dept. of Housing and Urban Development).
  • What is the cost to participate in the HCV program?
    There is no cost. The HCV Program is a government service provided free of charge. It is illegal for anyone to charge Applicants, Voucher Holders or Participants for ANY services provided by the HCV Program, including obtaining a voucher, applying to the Program or being placed on the waiting list
  • How can I get on the program waiting list?
    Keep Checking the RRHC website for updated postings regarding when the waiting list opens. Be sure to apply when the waiting list announcements apper.
  • When will the waiting list re-open?
    The waiting list is designed to promote fairness in the selection process. Public notice will be given if and when the waiting list re-opens.
  • I am on the waiting list. How do I find out my status?
    When a family’s application number reaches the top of the list, they are notified by mail. This makes it extremely important for families on the waiting list to alert LHC in writing of any change in contact information. Address changes must be made in writing to our office located at 180 Visger Rd, River Rouge, MI 48218
  • How do Property Owners participate in the program?
    Property Owners who have a property for rent should advertise and market it. Voucher Holders will contact you directly if they are interested in your property. If a family or individual with a voucher passes your screening process, you will submit a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet provided by the Voucher Holder and submit it to RRHC. Then, HCV Program staff will call you to schedule an inspection.
  • Does the program screen families before issuing them vouchers?
    Yes. RRHC conducts criminal background checks on all families and individuals 18 years of age and older. Members of an Applicant household must pass a criminal background check and meet income guidelines before they are issued vouchers.
    Property Owners should implement and carry out their own screening process for all prospective tenants regardless of whether or not they are Voucher Holders.
  • Can Landlords consult with a Voucher Holder’s previous landlord as part of the screening?
    Yes. If a Voucher Holder previously rented a unit under the HCV Program, RRHC can provide the contact information for the Property Owner/Manager of that unit to assist you in your screening process. These requests must be submitted in writing to our office located at 180 Visger, River Rouge, MI 48218.
  • Why are units required to pass an inspection?
    All units must pass HQS inspections to make sure they meet a minimum set of health and safety requirements established by the federal government. The inspection process is based on the premise that government funds should not subsidize substandard housing and that all families regardless of their income have a right to live in housing that is safe, decent and sanitary.
  • How do I report fraud?
    Should you become aware of any fraudulent activity by a RRHC employee, HCV Applicant, HCV Voucher Holder, or participating Property Owner/Manager, please report it to the LHC office, or by contacting HUD Office of Inspector General at 1-800-347-3735. All reports are kept confidential.

Primary Communities Served

River Rouge